Aval dosai is one of the signature recipe of my mother. Some fellow bloggers adding curd &baking soda in batter. It is not necessary. Aval dosai can be made 2 ways, instant version as well as letting it ferment. Adding aval to the dosa batter gives softness to dosas that literally melts in your mouth. When you are kind of bored with usual dosai you can try this dosai for a change, This batter will yield neither quick nor crispy dosas. But I can assure you that the taste are absolutely yummy The best accompaniment to aval dosa is spicy tomatochutney for breakfast or a night dinner.This dosai is my family's favorite.
Raw Rice -4 Cups
Urad daal-1/2 cup
Poha/ Aval (thick)-1 1/2 cup
Methi/fenugreek seeds-1 tbsp
Salt to Taste
Oil for Making Dosa
1. Soak the rice, urad daal, Turdaal and methi in enough water for about 7-8 hours.
2. Soak the poha/aval separately in water for about 1 hour before grinding
3. After 1 hour drain the water from the poha. Grind all the above soaked ingredients (including the aval/poha) together. Do not use too much water;adding just enough water to make a smooth and thick batter.
4. Transfer the batter to a container, . Add salt to taste, mix well and Allow this to ferment for at least 10-12 hours.
5.Once fermented, give the batter a stir as use it to make dosas. Heat a Dosa Tava on medium high heat. Make sure it is lightly greased.
6.Pour a ladle of dosa batter in the center. Spread the batter in a circular motion from the center towards outside. Do not spread a lot. It should have the same thickness throughout.
7. Put a spoonful of oil around the edges of the dosa and little on the top and cook until the bottom part has browned you can start lifting the dosa off the pan and remove it carefully and serve. Proceed the same way to make the remaining dosas with the batter.