The Kadai Vegetable Recipe is a quick and easy to prepare. Mixed vegetables are cooked with freshly ground spices and then simmered in delicious tomato gravy. the freshly ground masalas give such a nice aroma to the kadai gravy. This vegetarian dish can serve as an ideal main course dish for both rice,Naan or chapatti. I make this veg kadai gravy on weekends or on family get together. Previously I posted this recipe in different method.I adapted restaurant style Recipe from Here.
For Kadai Masala-Roast and Grind
Coriander seeds- 1 tbsp
Cumin seeds- ½ tsp
Green cardamoms-2Cinnamon-1/2 inch
Red chilies- 3 to 4Kasuri methi-1tsp
Black peppers-4 to5
Potato- ½ cup
Carrot -½ cup
Capsicum -½ cup
Cauliflower - 1 cup florets (heaped)
Fresh or frozen peas -1/2 cup
Tomato Puree -1/2 cup
For the Gravy:
Ginger garlic paste- 1 tsp
Chopped onions-1/4 cupT
Turmeric powder- ¼ tsp
Red chili powder- ¼ tsp
Amul freshcream- 3 tbspChopped coriander leaves for garnish-2 to 3 tbsp
Salt as required
1.Heat a small frying pan and add the following spices. stir and roast till the spices become fragrant.
2. Stir and roast till the spices become fragrant. no need to brown the spices.
3.when the ingredients cool down, add all of them in a dry grinder and grind to a fine powder. remove the kadai masala from grinderand keep aside.
4. Puree tomatoes and keep aside.
5. In a pan heat 1 tbsp oil and add 1/2 cup sliced onions and ½ cup sliced bell pepper .
6. Stir very well and saute the onions and bell pepper on a low to medium flame. Till the bell peppers are half cooked. some crunch is desirable.
7. Remove the sauteed onions and bell peppers aside. chop the potatoes and carrots and half cooked keep aside too.
8.In the same pan, then heat 2 tbsp oil. add 1 tsp ginger-garlic paste. stir and saute till the raw aroma of ginger-garlic goes away. Then finely add chopped onions.
9. Stir and saute the onions till they become light golden. Then add the prepared tomato puree.
10.Add ¼ tsp turmeric powder and ¼ tsp red chili powder. stir very well. saute the masala till it thickens and you see oil releasing from the sides.
11. Then add the potato, carrot along with peas.stir and saute for a minute and add water add salt and saute.
12. Cover the pan. on a medium flame simmer and cook the veggies. check at intervals and if required, add more water. the veggies need to be cooked well but they should not become too soft.
13. Then add the ground kadai masala and stir very well.Then add the sauteed bell peppers and onions.mix and stir again very well. simmer for few minutes. if the gravy looks dry, then do add some water.
14.Finally add Fresh cream and stir the cream with the rest of the gravy. switch off the flame.
15.Garnish with chopped coriander leaves. stir again very well. Serve veg kadai hotwith tandoori rotis, naan, chapati, paratha.