Dal makhani or Maah di dal or kaali dal – It is popularly known in the punjab, with its smooth light in texture with spicy taste. It is made from whole urad with Rajma. In Punjabi, urad dal is known as maah di dal. Also whole urad are black in color, so it is also called kaali dal. Butter and cream is used in this recipe to make it creamy and rich. Butter is used in the recipe hence it is called Dal Makhani. Makhani is the hindi word of ‘butter'. fresh cream and spices makes it wholesome, nutritious and simply irresistible, it has become popular vegetarian dish in all parts of India. This Punjabi dal makhani goes well with steamed rice or paratha as a meal for healthy lunch.
For making Dal Makhani:
For making Dal Makhani:
Whole urad dal – ½ cup
Rajma (red kidney beans) – 1 tablespoon
Water – 1 ¼ cups
Butter – ½ tablespoon
Oil – 1 teaspoon
Cloves – 2
Cinnamon stick – 1 inch piece
Black cardamom – 1
Bay leaf – 1
Onion – ¼ cup, chopped finely
Ginger paste or freshly grated – 1 teaspoon
Garlic paste or freshly grated – 1 teaspoon
Green chili – 1, chopped finely
Tomato – 1 medium or ¾ cup pureed
Salt – to taste
Red chili powder – 1 teaspoon
Water – ½ cup
Garam masala – ½ teaspoon
Kasoori methi (Dried fenugreek leaves) – 1 teaspoon, crushed between your palm
Heavy whipping cream or malai – 1 tablespoon
Cilantro or coriander leaves – ½ tablespoon, chopped finely
1. Rinse both the lentils a couple of times in water. soak both ¾ cup whole urad dal and ¼ cup rajma/kidney beans overnight in enough water for 8 to 9 hours or overnight.
2.After the soaking time, they will get double in size. Discard the soaking water.
3.Take whole urad and rajma in a pressure cooker. Add fresh 1 1/2 cups of water. Close the cooker with lid and put the weight on.
4.Turn the heat on medium and let it cook for 8-10whistles.till both the urad dal and rajma have cooked thoroughly and softened. if they are not cooked, then add about ½ cup water again and pressure cook for 4 to 5 whistles more.
5.Urad dal should melt in the mouth so I just mash the urad dal& rajma with a spoon and I checked the doneness. Keep the cooked beans aside.
6. In a blender or mixer jar, take chopped tomatoes blend to a smooth puree. keep aside.
7. In a pan, now heat 3 tbsp butter add the whole spices - cumin seeds, cloves, green cardamoms, 1 black cardamom, 1 inch cinnamon, 1 small to medium bay leaf. sauté till the spices become aromatic
8.Then add ½ cup finely chopped onions.stir and saute the onions on a low flame often till they become light golden.
9.Then add 2 tsp ginger garlic paste. stir again and saute till the raw aroma goes away.
add 1 tsp chopped green chilies and stir for a minute. add ½ tsp red chili powder then add the tomato puree and stir again.
10. Stir very well and saute this mixture on a low to medium flame, till you see fat releasing from the sides.
11.Then add the cooked urad dal and rajma beans along with the stock and add salt as required. also add 1 cup water or as required. stir very well and simmer the dal makhani uncovered on a low flame.
12.Keep on stirring often, so that the lentils don't stuck to the bottom of the pan. once the dal makhani has begun to thicken, Now add crushed kasoori methi .
13. Stir very well and continue to simmer on a low flame. dal makhani is not too thick or too thin. it has a medium consistency can be easily adjusted by adding more or less water. when the gravy has thickened enough, then add cream and stir the cream very well.
14. Mix well and cook for a minute and turn off the stove. Lastly add chopped coriander leaves and mix.
15. Serve the dal makhani hot plain or topped with some butter or cream along with rotis, naan, paratha or plain or jeera rice.