Carrot Rice and Crunchy Yam Fries
Today for our lunch I made one Pot meal as carrot Rice and Yam fries as a side dish. . Carrot rice is a healthy meal made by tempering carrot along with spices and then mixing them with cooked rice. Carrot rice is an easy & healthy recipe and a lunch box menu for school and office goers. Make this easy one pot dish for a quick meal and serve it with papad, , raita of your choice.
Carrot rice is a healthy meal made by tempering carrot along with spices and then mixing them with cooked rice. Tasty and fragrant carrot rice could be eaten with or without curries. but I made yam fries as aside dish for carrot Rice.
Cooked Rice -1 cup
Carrot – 2(grated)
Ginger chilli paste- 1 tsp
Onion – 1
Oil – 1 tbl spoon
Ghee – ½ tbl spoon
Mustard –1 tsp
Urad dal – 2 tsp
Dryred chilli – 3
Chopped garlic cloves – 3
Chilli powder – ¾ teaspoon
Turmeric powder-1/2 tsp
Salt- as required
1. Rinse rice until water turns clear. Soak the rice for 15 mins and then transfer to a pressure cooker/ with 1.5 cups of water. Cook for 1 to 2 whistles.
2. In a frying pan heat oil and fry peanuts and cashew and keep aside.
3. Heat oil in a pan, Once the mustard seeds start spluttering add urad dal, Channa dal green chillies, red chilli, curry leaves and hing(asafoetida).Sauté for few seconds.
4. Next add onions, minced ginger and garlic.Saute till onions are light brown in color.
5. And then add turmeric, red chilli powder, and salt. Cook for another minute.
6. Then add grated carrots, salt & add fried peanuts, cashew and saute everything well and cook for 2-3 minutes.
7. Then Add the Cooked rice and ghee mix well with the rice without breaking the rice.
8. Finally, garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot.
I usually prepare this with normal rice, but you can use any variety of rice. You can also add roasted cashews or peanuts for the crunch.
Crunchy yam Fries
Yam Fries are the perfect alternative to your favorite Fusion side dish of French Fries. Made from yellow yam, Yam fries are undeniably soft inside and crunchy outside; I have marinated my yams with very little spices to give them an extra punch.
Yam fries are super-fast snack recipe that you can do. Simple yet the flavours are very tasty. Simple and common ingredients are needed to make this yam fry. So here we go on a simple, tasty, healthy yam chips
Yam - 250 Gms
Ginger Garlic Paste - 1 Tbsp
Turmeric Powder-1/2 tsp
Chilli Powder - 3/4 Spoon
Corn Flour-1 tbsp
Salt- asper taste
Curry Leaves- few
Lemon juice-1 tsp
Water (just to immerse)
Chopped coriander leaves- 1tsp
1. Peel off the outer skin of yam, wash it properly and then cut it into thin long fingers.
2. To make the marinade; in a bowl, add the chopped yam, salt, turmeric, red chilli powder, and lemon juice and corn flour and add little water to mix well. Keep it aside for 10 min.
3. Heat oil in a deep frying pan and fry the curry leaves and keep it aside.
4. Then add the marinated yam slices and fry them in batches on medium flame, stirring occasionally until crispy and golden brown on both sides for about 5-7 minutes.
5. Drain them on a paper towel and let it cool.
6. Garnish them with fried curry leaves and coriander leaves.Store in an air tight container.