Pulikaichal (Tamarind Gravy)Pulikaichal is a preserve which stays for a few months in the fridge. This when mixed with rice is called Puliyodarai.
- Tamarind Pulp- 1/2 cup
- Turmeric powder - 1 teaspoon
- Salt to taste
For the seasoning
- Red chillies 5 nos (cut into pieces)
- Mustard seeds-2 teaspoons
- Groundnuts- 1 cup
- Channa dal- 1/2 cup
- Urad dal- 1/2 cup
- Hing - 1 small piece or1/4 teaspoon powder
- Til oil (sesame oil) - 1 cup
For the powder
- Red chillies - 5 nos
- urad dal - 2 teaspoons
- Channa dal - 2 teaspoons
- Fenugreek or methi seeds - 1 teaspoon
- coriander seeds - 2 teaspoons
- Hing - 1 small piece
- Soak the tamarind in warm water and squeeze out thick juice to make 1 and 1/2 cup pulp.
- In a heat kadai and fry the ingredients for the powder, stirring continously till golden.
- Allow to cool and grind to a fine powder.
- In the same kadai heat 1 cup oil and add mustard seeds.
- When it crackles add all other ingredients for the seasoning and fry till golden.
- Lower the flame and carefully pour the tamarind pulp in to the seasoning.
- Add turmeric powder and mix well.
- Allow to simmer till the pulp is thick.
- Add salt and the powder and mix well. put off the flame.
- Allow to cool and store in food safe, air tight containers in the fridge.
For the rice
- Raw rice - 1 cup
- Til oil - 1 teaspoon Curry leaves - 1 twig
- Wash and prepare rice in a pressure cooker, with 1 cup rice and 2 cups water.
- Allow to cool a bit and transfer to a shallow dish.
- Pour 2 teaspoon oil in rice and curry leaves fried in one teaspoon til oil.
- Add 3 tablespoons(or needed) of the pulikaichal and mix lightly with a the flat ladle without breaking the rice
- . Serve hot with chips...