Iru Puli Kuzhambu
This is one of my favorite kuzhambu. I love this kuzhambu for its spicy and tanginess.It is a tangy gravy with a delightful mix of spice ,butter milk and vegetables.. We are using both butter milk and tamarind to make this kuzhambu and so its called iru puli kuzhambu. It is a very popular dish among the Tamil Brahmin and Kerala community. This unsual kuzhambu made with coconut ,roasted with fenugreek seeds and dried red chillies and cooked along with tamarind paste, makes it deliciously tangy and spicy.We can add a variety of vegetables can be used for this recipe. It goes very well with paruppu usili, roasted chepankizhangu, vazhakkai , any type spicy curry and with hot rice, dosa’s ,idli as well.
For kuzhambu we need
Tamarind – the size of a small lemon
Thick butter milk / curd (slightly sour) – 150 ml
Salt to taste
For Coconut Paste
1cup grated fresh coconut
dried red chillies-3-4
fenugreek seeds-¼ tsp
white urad dal -¼ tsp
Raw rice-1/4 tsp
mustard seeds-1 tsp
1. Soak 1 teaspoon of raw rice in water for about 10-15 mins.
2. Soak the tamarind in water and extract the juice and keep it aside
3.Chop the vegetables in bigger sizes, wash it and keep it aside
4. Heat the oil in the pan and add red chilli and fenugeek seeds and fry till the fenugeek seeds becomes red color
5. Remove from flame and add it to mixer along with grated cocunut and soaked rice and grind all these to a fine paste
6. In the pan add the vegetables and add some water and allow the vegetables to cook
7.When the vegetables are half-cooked, add the tamarind extract and salt and allow the mixture to boil to to avoid raw smell of tamarind
8. Finally add the ground paste, butter milk and mix it well and when the mixture starts to boil remove from flame
9. Heat oil in separate pan and add mustard seeds. When the mustard seeds begins to sputter add curry leaves and fry for a while and add these to the Iru puli Kuzhambu.
10.The mouth-watering iru puli kuzhambu is ready serve it with Hot rice and spicy vegetable.