Chana Pulao is a simple one pot dish that’s flavoured with lots of spices. This is a staple North Indian dish. Studded with protein-rich chickpeas, the pulao is cooked in a masala prepared from a specific blend of spices to give it that earthy flavour. It is extremely tasty and different from the other pulao. Served with any raita of your choice, this is one delicious pot of rice.
Basmati rice – 1 cup ( I used Normal rice)
White Kabuli channa – ½ cup
Cumin Seeds-1/2 tsp
Cinnamon – 1 inch piece
Cardamoms – 2
Cloves – 3
Bay leaf – 1
Ginger – Garlic Paste- 1 tsp
Tomatoes – 1/2 cup chopped
Potato- 1diced into cubes
Onion- 2 sliced
Chili powder– ½ tsp
Turmeric Powder- ½ tsp
Garam masala powder – ½ tsp
Oil – 3 ½ tbsp
Coriander leaves – 2 tbsp Garnish
Kasoori methi – 1 tbsp
Salt as per taste
1.To begin making the Chana Pulao Recipe, rinse and soak the chickpeas/chole overnight or for 8 to 9 hours in enough water.
2.Drain them well and then add to the pressure cooker with the water.
3.Add about 1/2 teaspoon of salt and pressure cook fit till the cooker releases 8-9 whistles or till the chickpeas are tender and cooked well.
4.Drain the cooked chickpeas/chole and keep them aside. Rinse the rice very well in water till the water runs clear of starch.
5. Then soak the rice in enough water for 30 mins. Strain and keep it aside.
6. Make a smooth paste of the ginger, garlic and green chilli in a grinder with a very little water. Once done, keep this also aside.
7. Heat oil in a wide pan and add sliced onions. Fry them till they change their colour to golden brown.
8. In a pressure cooker heat oil and add all the whole spices which include Jeera, cardamoms, cinnamon, cloves and bay leaf.
9.Sauté the whole garam masala or whole spices for some seconds till fragrant, and then add sliced onions.
10. Sauté the onions until it turns golden brown. Add the ginger-garlic-chilli paste and saute till the raw aroma of the ginger-garlic goes away. Add the chopped tomatoes, red bell pepper and saute for two minutes.
11. Next, add the turmeric powder, red chilli powder and garam masala powder.
12. Add the kasuri methi and saute the tomatoes for a minute or so and then add the drained cooked chickpeas.
13. Mix well and saute the entire mixture for about 7-10 minutes and let the chickpeas soak in the masala.
14. Add the rice, and again mix everything well. Then Add 1 ½ cup water. Season with salt and pressure cook for 1 whistle. Don't open the cooker.
15. Once the pressure settles down on its own, then open the lid of the cooker and gently mix the rice. Garnish with coriander leaves
16. Serve Chana Pulao along any raita of your choice and a roasted papad for your everyday meals.