Kesari is a is a simple sweet recipe prepared with basic ingredients like semolina, sugar and ghee. it is topped with dry fruits like chopped cashews, and some raisins and is flavoured with the exquisite spice 'kesar' or saffron. Kesari is usually prepared with water, and for Paal kesari is cooks with milk gives a good taste and it is offered as neivedyam
Rava (sooji/semolina) -1 cup
Milk - 21/2 cups
Sugar - 1 cup
Cashews - 5
Raisins - 5
Cardamom powder - 1/4 tsp
Saffron strands -5
Ghee - 2 to 3 tbsp
1.To prepare Milk Kesari first soak crushed saffron strands in a tablespoon of warm milk for 15-20 minutes
2. In a non stick kadai, heat 1 tbsp ghee and roast the cashews and raisins. When the cashews are golden and the raisins are puffed up, remove them to a plate.
3. Add the remaining ghee and add the rava and roast for 2 minutes. Switch off and allow it to cool completely
4. Now slowly add the milk, whisking all the while to avoid clumps.
5. When you've completely mixed in the milk, cover and cook for 3 minutes in medium flame until the milk is absorbed.
6. Now add the sugar and mix well. This will loosen the rava mixture.
7. Add the saffron milk and if needed add food color, and cardamom powder and mix well.
8. Keep mixing and stirring until it's thick for about 5-7 minutes and remove from flame
9.Garnish the milk kesari with nuts and raisins.Your delicious Milk /Paal Kesari is ready to be served immediately.