Masale Bhath is an imperative Rice dish cooked with seasonal vegetables and spices for every festive/wedding meal in Maharashtra which is very spicy and flavourful.. It is simple in terms of preparation, and it is an absolutely tasty dish yet so easy to make.
Basmati Rice - 2 cups
Ghee - 3 tbsp
Onions - 2 large ones
Water - 3 cups
Salt to taste
Tindora, Green peas, Cabbage, Pumpkin , Potato, Cauliflower, Carrot as per your choice
For Dry Masala (Roast all without oil and grind them to a fine powder.)
Coriander seeds- 2-1/2 tsp
Cardamom - 3 pods
Cinnamon - 1 inch
Cloves - 3
Black Peppercorns – few
Turmeric powder- ½ tsp
Salt to taste
Curry leaves - 2 sprigs
Chopped coriander leaves 2 tbsp
Grated fresh coconut - 2 tbsp
Method to prepare:
1. Soak rice in water for thirty minutes. Drain and set aside
2. Heat ghee in a pan and season with mustard seeds and cumin seeds. When they crackle, add curry leaves, asafoetida and green chili, and onion, saute until onion changes color.
3. Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, and the roasted masala powder, mix well for a minute.
4. Add the vegetables, salt , sprinkle some water and cook for 5 minutes. Then Add rice and mix well.
5. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and continue to cook covered until rice is done and all the water is absorbed.
6. Remove from heat and serve hot, garnished with roasted cashewnuts, chopped coriander leaves and scraped coconut.
7. Serve hot with a raita.