Fresh figs are in season now. I have only tasted the dried figs. And I have seen the fresh figs in market I wish to give a try and I couldn't wait to try my hand at making my own home made Fig jam! Making this jam is actually very simple and it turned out great!and Its taste amazing!
Fresh Figs – 500 grms
Granulated sugar – 2 cups or 1:1 Ratio
Lemon Zest (grated) – ½ lemon
Lemon Juice –1 tsp
1. Remove the stems of the figs, wash & drain them. Cut into quarters or chop them up if you want jam in a paste like consistency.
2. After de-stemming the figs weigh them again & use sugar which is half the weight of the figs. . If you wish to make a very sweet jam you can use figs and sugar in the ratio of 1:1
3. In a large saucepan, combine the figs, sugar, and lemon juice and zest. Bring to a simmer over medium low heat, stirring constantly until the mixture thickens.
4. Check the consistency of the jam. If the jam is thick enough to your preference, turn off heat. Continue cooking to further thicken jam.
5. Turn off the flame and spoon the mixture into sterilized jars .when the mixture is still hot (once the mixture cools it will get sticky and it will be hard to handle). Leave the jar lids open until the mixture has cooled. Close the lids and store in a cool place.
6. Enjoy the jam with some warm bread & butter!