Chakli is the most famous crunchy snack of India. I think every household has their own way of making this dish. This chakli is Marathi type version learnt from my Maharashtrian Friends
1½ cup Chana Dal
½ cup Ural Dal
2 cup white Rice
50 Grams Cumin seeds (approx 3-4 tbsp)
2.Roast rice, bengal gram and black gram (each item separately) till the grains turn crisp. Do not use oil for roasting.
3.Then roast Cumin seeds until aromatic.Grind together all these items into a very fine powde
1) In a deep and medium saucepan, heat 1cup water. Add Asafoetida Powder, Sesame seeds, Carom Seeds, Red Chili Powder, Oil and salt. Give a nice stir. Bring the water to boil.
2) Once water starts boiling, add boil water in Chakali flourand mix vigorously.
3) After cooling, transfer the flourdough to plain surface or in the plate. Use little lukewarm water to knead the dough. Make a soft dough.
4) Grease Chakali Press utensil from inside with little oil. Stuff enough dough in it. Press and move into circular motion to make Chakali.
5) Deep fry Chakali on medium high heat, until golden. Drain and put on paper towel to remove excessive oil.
Keep Chakali in Airtight Container after cooling.
If the chaklis tend to break while making, try kneading the dough for some more time, if still it doesn’t come out well, add some more milk/water and knead again