It is a custom in our home to make Pori for Karthikai. We usually made pori urundai along with Athirasam, Vella seedai,& Appam on that day. While many make these balls using Arisi pori. But in my both side my mom and MIL is not making balls, they just mix and make it as crumbles. So I too followed their way. But this time I made Pori Urundai As per my husband’s wish. Here I am sharing the recipe of PORI URUNDAI.
Pori (Puffed rice flakes) –3 cups
Jaggery powdered –1cup
Coconut (cut into small pieces) – 2 tbsp
Cardamom Powder – 1 teaspoon
Dry ginger powder (Sukku podi) – 1/2 teaspoon
Ghee- 1 tbsp
Water- ½ cup
1. Put the cleaned Pori in a large plate.Add jaggery in a pan with 1/2 cup of water and when it dissolves it water take it and strain the jaggery water to avoid sand.
2. Again boil the jaggery water and keep stirring it .When it became thick, check the consistency by pouring a drop of syrup in a cup of water. The syrup should not melt in water and when touched by finger it should roll into a soft ball. It should not be hard. This is the right consistency. (To test: Put little syrup in cold water. It should mould into ball when rolled with fingers the jaggery comes to stone consistency)
3. On this consistency Add cardamom powder, dry ginger powder and coconuts pieces and stir well.
4. Now remove the jaggery from flame and add the Pori and mix it thoroughly using a big flat spoon.
5. When it is warm enough to hold by hand Grease hands well with ghee take the mixture and make balls using both your palm.
6. Press the ball by giving pressure from both your palm so that the syrup could bind the pori to remain as a ball. It will harden further when the syrup cools down
7. Now the Aval/Nell Pori Urundai is ready.Store it in Airtight container
Post a Comment