Dum Aloo (Whole Potatoes In Spicy Yogurt Gravy) Recipe
"ALOO DUM or DUM ALOO" is a popular side dish taken usually with puris,chappathis or parathas in the North India.The word "ALoo" in Hindi means Potato. Its usually cooked under pressure so the potatoes get soaked in the gravy and so the name Dum (pressure in Hindi) in dum aloo. Since potato is rich in carbohydrates, this dish is good for children.It is quite a heavy lunch. This is the first time I am making this recipe and it came out very good.
Small potatoes 1/2 kg
Coriander seeds 1 tbsp.
Cardamoms (brown) 4
Black pepper 7-8
Cinnamon 1 small piece
Cardamom (green) 2
Bay Leaves 4-5
Ginger garlic paste 1 tsp.
Turmeric powder 1/2 tsp.
Chilli powder 1 tsp.
Medium size onion (grated)1
Fine yogurt (curd) 2 cup
Milk 1/2 cup
Ghee/oil 4 tbsp.
Salt to taste
.Take coriander seeds, cardamoms, cloves, black pepper, cinnamon, , cardamom green and grind it in a blender to make fine powder.
1. Lightly cook potatoes, peel and drill holes in them using a fork ; this is for the frying to reach the innards of the potatoes.
2. Heat oil in pressure pan for about one minute. Fry the potatoes in oil over medium heat till they change the color from white to light brown. Set aside.
3. Add bay leaves, , ginger-garlic paste, to the remaining oil. Fry till the paste becomes reddish brown and the mixture starts separating from the oil.
4. Add cumin, coriander, turmeric and garam masala all at once, and stir rapidly for 15 seconds.
5. Add turmeric powder, chilli powder and salt. Fry it about a minute.
6. Add tomatoes,orAdd the tomato puree, Stir fry until the oil stands out.
7. Now add milk to make the gravy. Then add yogurt (fine) and continuously stir it.
8. Finally add pricked fried potaoes to the gravy and stir for a few seconds .cook on high flame until the gravy thickens, add salt.
9. Decorate it with green coriander leaves and serve hot.
My dear friend sripriya of srikarskitchen passed me "A GIANT BEAR HUG".Thanks sooo much
to you for thinking of me passing this award.I am so happy...Giant big big hug to U .I wish to pass this award to rekhas kitchen Rekha