Mixed Vegetable Kurma is a simple but elegant rich and creamy gravy dish cooked with different vegetables in tangy tomato and cashew paste. It goes well with Indian Breads or even Rice Dishes. It is full of nutrient rich dish and makes a colourful platter We had this with chapati.
Potato medium peeled and diced- 1 no
Green beans finely chopped- 6 nos
Carrot medium finely diced- 1 no
Green peas- 1/4 cup
Onion small finely chopped- 1 no
Tomato medium chopped- 1 no
Tomatoes puree - 2 big tomatoes
Red chilli powder- 1 and 1/2 tsp
Fennel seed /Sombu thool/- 1 tsp
Turmeric powder- 1/4 tsp
Salt to taste
For the Masala:
Coconut, cut into small pieces - 1/2 cup
Ginger Garlic paste - 1/4 tsp
Poppy seeds / Khus Khus - 3 tsp
Coriander powder - 1 tsp
Sesame seeds - 1 tsp
Garam masala – 1 tsp
Cashew nuts, dry roasted -10 to 12
Onion, browned - 1 big (half to be used for the ground masala, rest for the gravy)
Water - 2 cups
1. Wash and chop the vegetables to almost equal size. Microwave the vegetables for 10 - 15 mins to be fully cooked.
2. In a non stick pan, dry saute poppy seeds along with whole cashew nuts for couple of minutes. Remove and keep it aside.
3 In the same pan, add 1 tsp oil and saute half of the onion till brown. Once done, allow it to cool.
4. Wash and chop the coconut into small bits and Then take the coconut, roasted poppy seeds, cashew nuts, coriander powder, garam masala, ginger garlic paste and sesame seeds in the mixer and grind to a smooth paste using water.
5. In a non stick pan, heat oil, saute the remaining onions till they turn colour.
6. Then add the tomato puree, turmeric powder, red chili powder and salt.Once you see the tomato colour changing, add the ground masala.and saute well onlow heat for 2 min
7. Add the rest of vegetables and tomatoes to the grounded masala and saute well.
8. Add a cup of water to the pan, stir well, increase heat and bring the gravy to boil. everything together. Cook for 5 mins, till the masala gets cooked properly and change colour.
9. Then add enough water to get the consistency you want and bring to boil. When kurma starts boiling add required salt to the kurma stir well.
10. Reduce the heat again, cover pan with tight lid and cook the kurma on low heat for 7 mins or until the vegetables are soft and tender. Add chopped coriander leaves.
11. Serve hot kurma with chapathi, parota, idly, dosa or with rice