Inspired by the yummy orange and almond cake watching in food tv last week, I thought I’d attempt to bake an orange and almond cake myself. Orange and almonds are a great combination. I use fresh orange zest and orange juice in the batter for the flavour. This adds natural sweetness and also enhances the orange aroma, I also use ground almonds in the recipe for a very interesting texture.The almond flavour with a hint of orange makes the cake moist and tasty with good texture If you like zesty oranges, this is the cake for you! Everyone in my home loved this cake, it was a hit! The cake makes a simple and comforting Tea cake for your evening time with your hot cup of Tea/coffee!
All Purpose Flour- 1-1/2 cups
Almond Meal (Badam Powder)- 1/2 cup
Condensed Milk -400gms
Fresh orange juice- 1/2 cup
Butter - 50 grams
Baking soda-1/2 tsp
Baking powder -1tsp
Almond essence-1/2 tsp
Badam (Almond)- 1 cup(sliced or blanched)
Orange zest-1/2 cup
1 Pre-heat an oven to 180 degree C, line a cake pan and grease/line with parchment.
2. Sift the flour with baking soda, salt and baking powder and add Almond meal.
3. Cream the butter and condensed milk, vanilla extract , almond essence and orange zest and juice together in a mixing bowl beat lightly.
4.Start adding above the flour mixture little by little. and chopped almond in the liquid. Make sure that everything is mixed well.
5. Once all the flour has been mixed check the batter consistency .Pour the batter into a greased, lined mould. Sprinkle chopped almonds.
6. Bake for 30 mins or or till the wooden stick comes out clean. cool the cake for a few minutes and it is ready to be served.
7. Enjoy the Eggless Orange Almond Cake with hot chai/coffee!